- AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellow (2012 – present) Work in the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Geothermal Technologies Program as a science advisor.
- NSF Earth Sciences Postdoctoral Fellow (2010 – 2012) An experimental study of temperature-dependent frictional healing processes: Implications for plate boundary tectonics and post-seismic healing. Hosted by Penn State University with Dr. Chris Marone as scientific mentor
- University of Minnesota – PhD (Geophysics) 2006 – 2010. Dissertation Title: Stress-driven melt segregation and reactive melt infiltration in partially molten rocks deformed in torsion with applications to melt extraction from Earth’s mantle. Adviser: Dr. David Kohlstedt.
- University of Vermont – MS (Geology) 2004 – 2006. Thesis Title: Shear Zone Processes in the mid to lower Crust and the Structural Evolution of Central Fiordland, New Zealand. Adviser: Dr. Keith Klepeis.
- Brown University – BS (Geology, With Honors) – 1999 – 2003. Senior Undergraduate Research Project: Magma emplacement or partial melting? A textural and petrographic study of high grade gneisses at Ft. Phoenix, MA.item. Adviser: Dr.L. Peter Gromet.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- AGU Mineral and Rock Physics Graduate Student Research Award (2011)
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship (2010).
- Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory Postdoctoral Fellowship, Columbia University – Declined (2010).
- Outstanding student speaker award – Deformation mechanisms, Rheology, and Texture conference, Liverpool, UK, 6-9 Sept. 2009.
- University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship (2009-2010)
- Harold Mooney Fellowship, Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota (2008-09)
- V. Rama Murthy / Janice Noruk Fellowship, Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota (2008-09)
- Richard Clarence Dennis Fellowship, Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota (2007-08)
- Summer Research Grant, Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences, University of Minnesota (2007, 2008 & 2009)
- Geological Society of America Graduate Student Research Grant (2005 & 2009)
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists Research Grant (2005)
- Susan Colver Rosenberger Prize, Department of Geological Sciences, Brown University (2003)
- Odyssey Fellowship, Brown University (2002)